To start using RadixWare you should know that the RadixWare application development, testing and production environment consists of the following components:
- Database Server (DbServer) - the machine on which the database server is run and where persistent data of your application is stored
- Application Server (AppServer) - the machine on which RadixWare Server is run
- Workstation - the machine used for the application development and / or for the application GUI execution
- Subversion Server (SvnServer) - the machine on which the Subversion server is run to support team development and release management
Each component can be implemented on a separate computing unit (physical or virtual machine), but in the most simplistic cases, all components can be implemented on a single workstation.
To develop, test and run the RadixWare application you need to do the following:
Step 1. Find a computer or computers, or use virtual machine(s). Make sure that your computer(s) or virtual machine(s) complies with the following minimum system requirements:
- 2.5 GHz or faster multi-core processor
- 8 GB RAM
- 6 GB available hard disk space
- a modern operating system compatible with Oracle Database (see Oracle documentation), Java (see Java system requirements) and Subversion (see Subversion FAQs)
Step 2. Install and configure the third party software:
- Download and install Java SE Development Kit 7 on AppServer and Workstations.
- Download and install Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2 or another edition of Oracle Database (v.11 or higher) on DbServer. For more details, see Oracle Database Express Edition Installation Guide for Windows or Oracle Database Express Edition Installation Guide for Linux. Then run Oracle Instance and create a table space using the tablspaces.sql script. During the execution of the script define the directory where the Oracle datafile will be located.
- Download and install Subversion 1.8 + Apache Server or another Subversion server on SvnServer. For details, see the How to install and configure Subversion server article in the FAQs.
- Download TortoiseSVN (or another SVN-client) v.1.8.* or another version that is compatible with the Subversion server installed and install it on the developer’s Workstation.
Step 3. Prepare the RadixWare installer:
Download and install RadixWare Manager on the administrator's and developer's Workstations following the instructions from the Installing RadixWare Manager section of the RadixWare Upgrade Administrator Guide.Note: when you start RadixWare Manager, you should specify path to the Oracle Java Database Connection (OJDBC) driver. Download ojdbc6.jar v.220.127.116.11 or later and use it on current and following steps.
- Create a new RadixWare Manager project using the guidance given in the Creating a Project section of the RadixWare Upgrade Administrator Guide.
Step 4. Install RadixWare in your development environment:
- Download the RadixWare Platform distribution kit and load it on to your RadixWare Manager Project following the instructions from the Loading Software Product Update Package section of the RadixWare Upgrade Administrator Guide. Should you have any questions or problems, please, see the Editing Layers and Frequently Asked Questions sections of the RadixWare Upgrade Administrator Guide.
- Set up database access parameters in RadixWare Manager following the instructions from the Setting up Database Access Parameters section of the RadixWare Upgrade Administrator Guide.
- Double-click the Distribution Kits branch of your RadixWare Manager project tree. In the list of distribution kits of Radix (org.radixware), select the latest version, сall the context menu of the distribution kit, run the Send to Development command and select the trunk as the target branch.
Execute RadixWare database objects creation scripts following the instructions from the Installing Database section of the RadixWare Upgrade Administrator Guide.Note: if you use Oracle Database Express Edition, you should disable the org.radixware\Partitioning option in the Database Parameters window.
Step 5. Configure your development environment:
- On the developer’s Workstation create a directory and check out the development branch of your RadixWare application repository from SvnServer (note: at this stage it will contain the RadixWare platform only). You can check out the development branch by the one of the following ways:
- Using RadixWare Manager. Select the Checkout item from the context menu of the Development->trunk branch in the RadixWare Manager project tree. Then, select the directory where the working copy must be located.
- Using svn checkout command. For more details, see Apache Subversion documentation.
- Using TortoiseSVN. For more details, see TortoiseSVN documentation.
Download configuration files and templates of the startup scripts for platform components. Make sure that they are set up in accordance with your environments to run RadixWare Designer, RadixWare Explorer or/and RadixWare Server.Note: By default, the file paths are set up assuming that the startup scripts and configuration files are placed in the root directory of the local copy of the development branch.
- Start RadixWare Designer and configure SVN parameters. On the main menu choose Tools->Options and click the Miscellaneous button. Then click SVN Authentication and specify the embedded field values in accordance with the values of the Subversion parameters that you have set up at the 1-st step of the current manual: in the SVN user name field enter the username that you have specified during Subversion installation. In the SVN authentication type field, you should specify the type of authentication at the SvnServer. If the type is “SSH Key File”, specify the path to key file in the SSH key file field.
Step 6. Develop your application:
To start development on RadixWare Platform, create a new layer of the product. This layer is created as follows: in RadixWare Designer call the context menu of the Project root element and execute the New / Layer command.Note: when you create a new layer, as the layer URI you should specify the Base Development URI that you have set at the Step 3.2 of the current manual.
- Develop your application following the instructions from the Developing an Application on RadixWare Platform section of the Quick Start Guide in the RadixWare Programmer Guide.
- Run RadixWare Server and RadixWare Explorer in development mode using the startup scripts and following the instructions from the Starting RadixWare Server and RadixWare Explorer in Development Mode section of the Quick Start Guide in the RadixWare Programmer Guide.
Step 7. Release your application:
- Make a Release following the instructions from the Making a Release section of the Quick Start Guide in the RadixWare Programmer Guide.
- Install the Release in the production or test environment following the instructions from the Installing Created Application(s) section of the Quick Start Guide in the RadixWare Programmer Guide.
- Run RadixWare Server on AppServer for production or testing, following the instructions from the Putting RadixWare Server into Operation section of the Quick Start Guide in the RadixWare Programmer Guide.